Hydatidiform Mole and Choriocarcinoma UK Information and Support Service Forum Index Hydatidiform Mole and Choriocarcinoma UK Information and Support Service
Patient Forum

How long do I have blood tests for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hydatidiform Mole and Choriocarcinoma UK Information and Support Service Forum Index -> Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunrise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: How long do I have blood tests for? Reply with quote

Hi
I have recently been Dxd with a complete molar
I had my letter today to say my pack will be on it's way, and that I will have blood tests every two weeks. How long will this be for - if everything goes ok - I have been told different things. from 6 months to 2 years (by my GP)

Thanks
Sun
tweetypie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sun

I had a complete Mole in May last year, it took until November to be given the all clear. Which at the time seemed like an eternity but looking back went by rather quickly. I was on weekly blood tests all the way through my treatment, but have been swapped to fornightly since the beginnning january. My Hcg have been <5 since november, so my consultant says that my hubby and I can begin to think about babies again one year from then. The count down is on! :D

Hope to hear from you soon
Tweetypie

Ps I'm a uk resident but live in NZ.......I have had all my treatment in NZ
sunrise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tweetypie!
Thanks for getting back to me :-)
I had my first blood taken today, and it's winging it's way to Charing X this afternoon. Not sure when to phone for the result though as I don't know how long to wait? When did you get yours?

It's good to hear your is <5. :D Congratulations, eat well and take good care of yourself! Hope you've got better weather too lol! where are you from?
I'm in Birmingham.

Sun
tweetypie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun, at my hopital in sleepy hawkes bay, i would have my bloods done and be lucky if i got them back by the following tuesday. But they told me that it was because they had to send it too another hospital in another city. Whereas Charing Cross will probably do yours onsite. If it was me i would call the next afternoon...coz hey lets face it you got nothing to loose!!! I'm a nurse and so have the added benefit of being able to look up my own results hehehehe You never get past that initial what if its not <5 even all these months later. My heart is with you all the way.

Its summer here at the moment so yeah 25 to 30ish most days :D. My hubby and I are originally from stockport Cheshire! Do you know it??? Life in NZ is fab!!

warm regards
Rach aka Tweety
Charglamour

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: I had a complete molar pregnancy too Reply with quote

Hi ladies

Im so glad to at last meet some women that have experienced the same as me. I was diagnosed last July and the worst thing was i was travelling at the time in Mexico as my fiance is Mexican and i am English i ahd to get a emergency flight to UK and receive treatment, anyway after treatement, tears and feeling completely at a loss i feel great! and i have now returned to Mexico to be with my fiance.

The first thoughtsi had when i was diagnosed were will beable to have children again, if so how long?, can i develop cancer? all these questions came into my head especially after googling it on the net which is sometimes not good and also I dont know about you ladies but when i first found out i was pregnant i was so happy but i felt awful, in bed all day, no apetite i felt like i had no energy and i was experiencing dark brown bleeding also.

With regards to the blood tests once i had the D and C evacuation i had to have weekly bloodtests untill my hormone level returned to below 10 which took aroung 6 weeks, i was then told i could return to mexico providing i get the correct followup. i now have a bloodtest once a month for what i hope will be a year but i was told in the UK after 1 year of normal results they allow you to have urine tests bi monthly although im not sure if this applys to everyone. Plus i have ultrasounds monthly but this is for my own piece of mind as i really want to be healthy as we really want to try again. The blood test procedure from CharingCross was very fast and their service is amazing i called many times and spoke with Dee or Karina and they were so helpful. I think you just need to keep having the blood tests and using some form of contraception untill you are 100% healthy. I think the reason they say 1 year of tests is becasue the cells from the molar can come back and by having the blood tests this allows them to monitor you. if anyone wants to email me or ask me anything or just a friend to discuss things please do not hesitate to contact me here or on my email charmcooper@hotmail.com

Charlie xxxxxxxxxxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hydatidiform Mole and Choriocarcinoma UK Information and Support Service Forum Index -> Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: