Hydatidiform Mole and Choriocarcinoma UK Information and Support Service Forum Index Hydatidiform Mole and Choriocarcinoma UK Information and Support Service
Patient Forum

Choriocarcinoma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hydatidiform Mole and Choriocarcinoma UK Information and Support Service Forum Index -> Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steph

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Choriocarcinoma Reply with quote

Hi, I was diagnosed with the chorio in 1992, after having my 3rd child. I had been ill for about 5mths with breathing problems and gone through numerous tests prior to being diagnosed and admitted to Charing Cross in August 92.
In 2002 i had an early miscarriage, I only knew this as Charing Cross contacted my doctor because my levels were raised on a recent urine test! I had a D&C and my levels returned to normal
In Dec 2003 i gave birth to healthy boy/girl twins!! My levels did take longer to return to normal but this could have been because hormone levels are much higher with twins.
To those of you who have just been diagnosed and are feeling scared of what the future holds this message is to say life will return to normal and to believe in what the doctors tell you.
zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, great to hear you went on to have more children - I only have one baby, and am just about to finish my chemotherapy for chorio in my liver. Considering risking pregnancy again is a huge issue for me as I really wanted more than one child but i dont want to get sick again.

I hope the fear goes away eventually, it must do as so many women go on to have more children don't they?!
Steph

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i found it all very scarey initially but once your treatment ends and life returns to normal you do tend to forget about it apart from the 6mth urine checks!!

I had my miscarriage and twins with a different partner so wasn't that worried about it altho i think i would have still gone ahead even if i was with the same partner as the odds of getting the chorio again are no different to anyone else who has never had it.

I must admit i did think what if it happens again and didn't like it when my levels kept going up slightly before returning to normal but for me it was worth taking the risk!!

How old was your baby when diagnosed? It all comes as a bit of a shock doesn't it especially with a new baby to cope with too!!
Rach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I also went on to have twins (two boys) following Choriocarcinoma. I was diagnosed in 2001 when my first child was 13 months. My twins were born in 2004.
I was naturally worried about it happening again, but the risk was very small.
Good luck!
zoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you posts ladies, its great to hear from people who have gone on to
Have more children.

My baby boy is 11 months old now, he was 6 months old when I was diagnosed.

I'm an only child myself so don't really want the same for him, hopefully ill be brave
Enough to have more!!!

My hcG is also fluctiating, it hit normal before xmas but it has been up and down a little bit since then.
Nothing to worry about my consultant Dr Schmit says though!!!

How long did it take you to feel well again after your treatment ended?
Steph

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Your levels are probably back to normal by now? I seem to remember once my levels got into double figures they went up and down a bit for a little while - very annoying but like you i was told not to worry by my consultant.

As time goes on and your life returns to normal you will be brave enough to try for another child.

Good luck!
zoe

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steph

yes all back to normal now and finished chemo - however my follow up scan showed there are still relatively large masses in my liver which could be debris from the tumours or could be in-active cancer cells.

I'm having a follow up PET CT Scan in June to see if the 'masses' are alive cells or just debris - fingers crossed for debris!!!

My energy levels are really good now, and the aches and pains are almost gone which is great but I am nervous about the outcome in june - we'll see how it goes.

Zoe
Steph

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zoe

Glad your levels are normal and you are feeling fine now. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about regarding the patches on your liver - i seem to remember being told i would probably have some patches left on lungs but it would be "in-active" tissue as my levels were normal. I was also told i would be left with some scaring. I still get more breathless than some (especially after 2flights of stairs, which i do daily at work!) but i'm doing a moonlight 12mile walk in june for a local charity so i'm not doing too bad!!

So try not to worry - you will be fine!
Steph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hydatidiform Mole and Choriocarcinoma UK Information and Support Service Forum Index -> Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: